Saturday, August 23, 2014

Our Family Forgives.


In our family -- we do a lot of stuff that requires apologizing for.  I'm stubborn and a hothead.  Ed is deliberately contentious.  So it is really important that we are willing to forgive each other. Regularly. :)

Our house fire began in the back corner outside the house -- on first seeing the fire, Ed immediately suspected that it was his fault.  Near that location was the bucket where he places his extinguished cigarettes after smoking.  And in fact, the fire investigators determined that it was an accidental fire started by improperly extinguished smoking materials.

Poor  Ed.  I can't imagine that sinking feeling he experienced when realizing this was caused by something he did.  He was surprised when I wasn't mad at him at all.  I was surprised that he thought I would be mad .... It was an accident ... how could I get angry with him when it could just as easily have been me? 

A few years ago, I had a jar candle burn down to the end of the jar ( Lord of the Flame episode ) and almost start a fire in my house.   Again ... what right would I have to be angry when it could have been something I did that started the fire?

And what good would being angry do anyway?  The house was still burnt.  Better that we stick close together and support one another - thats what family does.  Love. Forgive. Mess up again.  Repeat.

No comments: