Tuesday, October 9, 2007

For Sale By Owner

On my way to work today, I drove by a beautiful motorcycle in someone's front yard with a 'For Sale By Owner' sign next to it.

It made me wonder why it was being sold. Had the person become too old to drive it safely? Had they had an accident? Maybe it became too expensive to maintain or the owner needed the cash to pay off some bills. Maybe the wife gave the husband an ultimatum that it was either her or the bike!

I saw an older gentleman drop his motorcycle making a turn last night at a stop sign. The man waiting at the stop sign in front of me hopped out and offered a helping hand to get the bike set back up. The older gentleman looked a little shaky, but he hopped back on and after a moment to gather himself together, he sped off into the dusk. Will he think of selling his bike because of this incident? A minor accident, but will it cause him to doubt his ability to continue to ride safely?

My friend works for the state of Pennsylvania teaching motorcycle safety -- he and his significant other ride together and they love it. They go on weekend bike trips with friends or on their own. He says that there are people who don't own much else in life, but they have a bike because it is such a big part of their life. He would give up a lot of things before giving up his bike.

So I wonder why this bike was being sold. I think it would have to be a pretty good reason. Maybe I'll have to give them a call.

No comments: